[thelist] do not use the javascript: link protocol - why? (was: collapsible elements without using IDs)

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Tue Dec 7 09:26:43 CST 2004

On Dec 7, 2004, at 8:13 AM, Sarah Sweeney wrote:

>> P.S: Never, under _any_ circumstances use javascript: as a link
>> protocol. It is a bad habit that MUST die.
>
> I think I know why you are (so adamantly) advocating this, but I'm not
> 100% certain. Can you fill us in, please?

I don't have a problem with it so long as it's backed up with a
standard href that works without javascript.  (href with standard html
link followed by a javascript 'onclick' ending in "return false")

I agree that a site's primary functionality should not depend on
Javascript; but "never" is an overused word.