[thelist] Re: OT - OS Genealogy software?

Garth Hagerman hagerman at mcn.org
Tue Oct 4 13:11:15 CDT 2005

> Slightly off-topic here, but does anybody have any advice about open
> source,
> free, genealogy software? Web-based, preferably.
>
> I've poked around Sourceforge and Googled -- I'm really fishing for
> user opinions.

I had hundreds of hours invested in putting my family tree together
with an offline shareware program which has an html export function. It
produced a hopeless mess  in the guise of a web site. Fortunately, it
could also export a standard GEDCOM format file. After much research
and experimentation, I finally settled on  PhpGedView (
http://www.phpgedview.net/ ) .  The good thing about PhpGedView is that
it works. I was able to import my GEDCOM file and have an editable,
accessible family tree with a minimum of fuss. The not so good thing is
that it's more complicated than it really needs to be; it has many
features I'd never want or use. I would design my own system, but I
can't make heads or tails of the GEDCOM format; even when it's
converted into a MySql database, it's gobbledeegook to me.

       for whatever it's worth
       Garth