[thelist] flash or DHTML for slide show ? was basic flash tutorial (for photo "slideshow")

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 08:38:18 CST 2005

On 12/15/05, Bird <bird at koolfish.com> wrote:
> I get many requests for photo slide shows for villa and safari sites
> that I do. I have always done these type of things using a DHTML type of
> slide show. Clients want it, so what's the best option to go with?
>
> Should I now be using flash to accomplish the same thing ?
> Is one method better than the other? The audience of these kind of sites
> that I do are predominantly windows users and 80%+ viewers on IE 5 and
> higher if that has any bearing on the choice.

Flash offers a much richer interface: It allows streaming of data,
funky transitions and a lot of up-to-date scripts to use.

DHTML has the problem that a lot of scripts out there are painfully
obtrusive and outdated. I will have an article on sitepoint soon that
explains the transition from DHTML to DOMscripting where a gallery
script is one of the examples.

I'd say if you do not know much JavaScript yourself, Flash might be an
easier option.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com