[thelist] Alternatives to IFrames?

Tim Palac tymartist at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 10:36:15 CDT 2006

Hey everyone, new to the list here!  I'll quickly intro myself - I'm a web
designer and developer (officially titled "New Media Producer" at my job)
from the Chicago area.  My skills are in XHTML, CSS, DOM, and PHP, with a
little Coldfusion knowledge.  Anyway, to the point...

I've been helping out my company with our new website and a lot of the stuff
I develop doesn't fit in with the way the standard template is done, so
they've been putting my pages in as IFrames.  The problem with this is that
iframes are notoriously shaky, render differently in different browsers
(Firefox breaks like crazy!), return you to the main page if you reload, and
also it's an issue getting it to expand like you want.

What are my alternatives?  Right now we're running Coldfusion on the server
if there's any suggestions involving server-side.

Thanks.