[thelist] PHP, PDF and IE7

Robert O'Rourke rob at sanchothefat.com
Mon Mar 12 10:12:13 CDT 2007

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> The issue *appears* to be the file ending (because clicking on a .pdf
> file DOES work in IE7 AFAIK) so one solution to my particular problem
> would be to write out a temporary file with a .pdf ending and direct the
> user to that.
>
> My issue is not that it won't load it, but that Windows XP won't even
> open it, due to the lack of .pdf file ending.
>
> I was just hoping to find a more elegant solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Hershel

Why don't you want the .pdf on the end? It won't open in any browser
that way... Last time I found one without the file extension Firefox
prompted me to download it which I did then I had to work out what the
file was so I could add the file extension back. Alternatively I would
have had to choose 'Open with' and then select acrobat reader. I don't
think file extensions are optional, not with pdfs at any rate.

Rob