[thelist] Safari on Windows

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Tue Jun 12 10:48:36 CDT 2007

> Just out of curiosity... Can anyone suggest why on earth Apple think
> this is a good idea? Do they not think that, between the ubiquitous
> Internet Explorer and the free Firefox, the browser market on the PC is
> pretty much sewn up? And if there's anything they would like the PC
> browser to do that IE and Firefox don't do, what's wrong with plugins or
> something?

If the Windows OS browser could be made to work just like the MAC OS browser, then developers can more readily test their web sites against a MAC Browser. Saving having to own a MAC or know someone who does.

More MAC friendly web sites makes the MAC more appealing. It's a small increase, but considering the MAC has never owned more than 10% of the market, it's an important increase.

My doubts are that the WinOS Browser will be "fundamentally the same" as the MacOS Browser. Blowing a huge hole in the above rational.