[thelist] server to server connection

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 00:25:04 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Paul Bennett <Paul.Bennett at mch.govt.nz> wrote:

> I've been asked to manage the setting up of a connection from one server
> to another. The first server is a Linux webserver which needs file
> system access to a windows server sitting inside a corporate network.

> Does anyone know of a technology or protocol which is appropriate here?

What exactly does "file system access" mean?

You could expose files inside the firewall though a "web service",
otherwise known as a web server :-)

So, "access" as in frequent write/occasional read like a log file, or
occasional write/frequent read? Or mostly symmetrical? What kind
of transaction rate?

If your data access layer is relatively well abstracted, it shouldn't
really matter what "transport" layer is used. And a port 80 proxy
through the corporate firewall is pretty widely accepted now :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com