[thelist] Google-API-driven web application hanging in Firefox only

Jay Turley jayturley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:09:48 CDT 2009

Hi all-

I am working on an application using the Google Maps API.

No, I don't have a public URL, and I'm sorry, so this will have to be a more
general question (oh, I wish I did have one).

When the application loads, it makes several calls to google services in
order to load the maps code and initialize it and such.

In IE 8, Chrome 2.0, and Safari 3.2.1 the application works perfectly.

In FF 3.0.10 the application has suddenly stopped working. It hangs when
trying to load some of the javascript files from google, but not necessarily
the same ones each time. The status bar shows the message "Transferring data
from www.google.com"

Most frequently, it hangs on this net request:

http://maps.google.com/maps?file=googleapi&key=[insert-google-key-here]&v=2
(and
yes, I have a valid google key)

Occasionally it will load that file and then hang on this request:

http://www.google.com/uds/stats?r0=el%7Cmaps&r1=hl%7Celements&nc=1244570879867_15009

Both requests are autogenerated by google from the following script:

 <script type="text/javascript" src="
http://www.google.com/jsapi?key=[insert-google-key-here]"></script>
 <script type="text/javascript">
  google.load("maps", "2");
  google.load("elements", "1", {packages : ["localsearch"]});
 </script>

I've disabled all add-ons except for Session Manager and Firebug with
no luck.

I know this is a long shot that someone might have some trouble-shooting
ideas, but I am at my wits end.

This started last week. Running Windows XP SP 3.

thanks for any ideas at all folks; seriously, i am at a complete loss

-Jay