[thelist] Best Linux install for home development server?

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Wed Sep 14 07:45:37 CDT 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:19:50 +0100, "Simon MacDonald" wrote:
> 1. What is the best Linux install to go for - I was considering Ubuntu?

I've used a few over the years, and settled on Ubuntu. It's one of the
easiest
to administrate. There's also plenty of documentation on the Internet, and
lots
of folks willing to help.

> 2. Being used to Windows, I'm not sure what sort of hardware
specification I
> should be looking for to run this setup - 4gb ram and 1Tb sata disk,
probably,
> but not sure what processor to go for.

Anything, really. My web server at home has a dual core AMD64 processor.
My
routing server at home is an old P2 (remember the black "toaster" type?),
which
runs the latest Ubuntu like a charm. Linux generally has better hardware
compatibility than Windows (apart from a couple of printers and webcams).

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za