[Javascript] Disappearing breadcrumbs?

Rodney Myers rodney at aflyingstart.net
Wed Aug 14 15:59:34 CDT 2002

I tried your page in XP IE6 and as you say it worked well.
Then I tried it with NN4.6 and no links were produced.

The error message was unusual to say the least:

JavaScript Error: file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Rodney
Myers/My Documents/tests/healthlinks.js, line 1:

illegal character.

?// Get the URL of the current document and store it
^

In the console the illegal character did not show up. Here it has become
"?" after cut and paste.

I tried adding some blank lines and deleting but that did not work.

Then I tried cutting and pasting the text of healthlinks.js into a new file
and calling it healthlinks2.js

This worked in both browsers, also in NN7 and Opera 6.03

My test file :

<title>BC Test</title>
<script type="text/javascript" src="healthlinks2.js"></script>
</head>
<script type="text/javascript">
createBreadcrumbs();
</script>

I never came across this type of error before and would be interested to
know what it was at the start of that file that upset Netscape. I do know
that if the Netscape error message tells you something in the console you
are wise to believe it, even if it seems incredible.

hth

Rodney

PS is it OK to use the breadcrumbs file?