[Javascript] HTML Form-Based file upload problem....

Siddharth Roy siddharthroy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 01:58:23 CDT 2002

hello,
i'm stuck with a problem related to HTML form-based file upload. The
FORM looks like:

<FORM method="POST" action="/cgi-bin/upload.pl"
enctype="multipart/form-data">
<input type="file" size="60" name="upfile">
<input type="submit" value="Upload">
</FORM>

The problem is that i want to display a message on the SAME browser
window, REPLACING the browser window contents.... telling the user
that File Upload has started as soon as a user clicks on the "Upload"
Submit button.

Every time i try a document.write("<my Message>"); using the
onClick() or the onSubmit() methods of JavaScript, file upload fails
Also, if i have a "print" statement embedded within the "upload.pl"
perl script to be returned to the browser before i capture the HTTP
packets and write my data to disk, it is displayed only AFTER the
upload has finished and not as soon as the user has clicked on the
Upload button....

Anybody with any suggestion, comments ???

TIA,
Asid.

=====
   Hard Work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW !
Allison: What's your power ?
   Emma: I don't have any powers.
Allison: Ah, the power of denial.(from Mutant X - Episode 1)