[Javascript] Setting a variable in a child window

Cutter Bl cutterbl at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 05:23:21 CST 2002

You could pass MyParent in the url
(http://my.domain.com/page.html?MyParent=name) then access the var through
the javascript in the new page.

Cutter
http://www.falcon-knives.com

----Original Message Follows----
From: Andrew Bush <andrew.b at ihug.co.nz>
To: <javascript at LaTech.edu>
Subject: [Javascript] Setting a variable in a child window
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:10:07 +1300

Hi all,

I open a new popup type window from my main window using
newWin=window.open(etc etc)

the javascript in the new window declars a variable
var myParent;

what I want to do from the main window, immediately after opening the new
window is somthing like:
newWin.myParent=self;

this direct approach doesn't work, I assume because it takes a little time
for newWin to load and read the javascript that declares myParent.

does anyone know of an alternative approach that will work?

Thanks for any help.

Yours cheerfully,

     Andrew Bush

--
To misquote Mr Terry Pratchett:

The word for a society where everyone is pulling together is 'Tyranny', in a
free country everyone tends to pull in different directions.