[Javascript] Non-Scrolling Titles

Andrew Gibson andyg at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 21 16:56:45 CST 2002

> I also need to be able the scroll up and down thru the rows with the
titles
> stationary (and left to right for wider reports).
>
> Name___Street___City___State   <--- Stationary  and left to right
>
> Sam        Elm        LA       CA   <--- Vertical Scrolling  and left to
right
> Henry       Oak       Detroit  MI
> Joe           Maple    Austin  TX
>

> After doing some reading about dynamic HTML, I'm thinking maybe I need to
> make the titles one <div> and put the body of the table in another
and

I had a play with non scrolling titles here (in IE 6)  - code a bit buggy
and messy.

http://www.zapcom.co.nz/droptable.asp

Thought there might be an inbuilt function, but maybe not!

The only way, I could figure how to do it, was:

1. Set a stationary <div> for the table heading.
2. The rest of the table content in a separate <div>
3. Navigation would then reposition the content <div>, up or down etc.
4. Key:  Based on the navigation, show the relevant clip of the content div.
  eg document.getElementById("content").style.clip="rect(whatever)"

Dont' see why it wouldn't work as easily horizontally, but I'd question the
wisdom of doing it!

Andrew Gibson