[Javascript] Re: Windows

Amanda Birmingham lists at imladris.com
Tue May 14 13:50:37 CDT 2002

Philip,
Generally browsers either will not allow a page to close the window that
opened it, or will require the user to confirm that close (something along
the lines of "This page is trying to close the current window.  Allow this
action?  Yes/No").  This impediment is there for obvious
reasons--otherwise, malicious web pages could wreak some small
havoc.  Additionally, for similar reasons, browsers generally do not allow
a page to alter the chrome (presence of scroll bars, title bars, etc) on
the window that opened it, instead allowing that only on windows the page
opens itself.  IE has a full-screen mode with no chrome, but I'm not sure
whether basic non-Flash pages can programmatically demand the window switch
into it ....

Once again, the difference between design limitations that are appropriate
for the web generally and those that are appropriate for web applications
rears its ugly head!  Good luck ;)

Amanda Birmingham
Web Application Developer