[Javascript] JavaScript to PHP variable transfer

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Thu Aug 21 14:32:40 CDT 2003

You're running the webserver on the same box as the SQL server?

I would think that would be the first problem to convince the customer
to focus on :)

>That is precisely the point -- we want the server to spend its spare
CPU
>cycles resolving big gnarly SQL queries, and not doing big gnarly forms
>transfers -- particularly if 80% of the form isn't applicable to
generating
>the necessary SQL queries.  This may cause many additional small
sessions of
>variable transfers, but it also generates lots and lots of "idle" time
>between output dumps while the queries are in process.  Anyhow, the
most
>annoying constraints were set in stone by the customer, and I have to
play
>along however I can.  Frankly, I wish YOU were my customer -- your
viewpoint
>is much like mine was prior to this project.

It also sounds like the customer is being a bit extreme (and potentially
misguided) about "security" and the ideal usage of bandwidth.  By the
time you build a sufficiently clever mechanism for working in the
specifications they've given you, they will have spent enough that they
could have thrown hardware and bandwidth at this problem until a far
less clever developer could maintain it.  I'm guessing you can't bring
this up, but would it be worth it to discuss a more flexible
configuration for basic assumptions to start with?