[Javascript] Virus Warning...

Walter Torres walter at torres.ws
Thu Aug 21 19:22:10 CDT 2003

This message is to inform you my eMail address has been hi-jacked. So if you
receive and mail with the subject line defined below, understand it did NOT
come from me.

But if you do get one, a virus with my name on it, PLEASE PLEASE send me the
full header of the message.

Also, this message is to inform you that someone on this list may be
infected with a virus.

I make that claim because this eMail address (mine) is used ONLY for these
mailing lists.

The Subject Line of the infected message are:
 - "Thank You"
 - "Approved"
 - "That Movie"
 - "Wicked Screensaver"
 - "Your Application"
 - "My Details"

*And* the variant that they have has culled *my* email address from their
mailbox to spew this virus across the planet.

And I mean literally across the planet.

I am getting virus filter alerts after 5 to 10 minutes from mail fitters on
servers all over the place.

I have 3 clues to offer to locate the person(s) that are infected...

  - they are using Outlook Express (which means Windows box. gee, never see
a Mac virus!)

They also have these address in their phone book (it is who the message
where sent to)

  - minimalist at exolab.org
  - some one at @pop.noralighting.com
  - some one at @gems6.gov.bc.ca
  - DOTNET at DISCUSS.DEVELOP.COM
  - info at nods.com
  - amt at gecko-software.com
  - some one at @go2ntdomc01.sce.com
  - some one at @protec.es

And they may (or may not) use Sprint as their provider.

Now, these are not an *AND* they are an *OR* operation.

This is the info I've gleamed for the error message sent back.

Most send back nothing, but YOU HAVE A VIRUS! FIX IT!.

Real helpful.

Anyway, please double check your systems, run your virus scanners, see if
you have it and can get rid of it.

Here is some more info on this virus...

http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020457,39115819,00.htm
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/ap20030821_1250.html