[Javascript] JavaScript to PHP variable transfer

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Fri Aug 22 11:50:11 CDT 2003

Sigh.  I was hoping to save folks the pain --

Apparently, some of the customer's staff objected to an earlier application
which used all the conventional "forms" stuff to manage a telecom database
program.  Their major complaints were (and I'm not kidding!):

    (1)    They didn't like the screen flashing when the forms updated
    (2)    They didn't like the gobblety-gook (the URL & variables) on the
status and link bars
    (3)    They wanted it to be faster (much, much faster)
    (4)    The IT guys objected to the bandwidth being used every time a
form updated

This was the state of things -- right up to the time that they got "hacked"
(presumably through their web application, although nobody has shown me a
P.M. of the event). They called in some high-powered security consultant who
said (and again, I'm not kidding!)

    (1)    Disable all forms-related transfers
    (2)    Only do transactions over SSLv3 (makes sense)
    (3)    Don't use cookies on the client machines -- FOR ANYTHING!!!

The VP in charge of software development (who, in my opinion shouldn't be in
charge of shoelaces) agreed to all of these considerations, carte blanche.

Now I have to rebuild the application (which merges bits of Remedy with bits
of GoldMine) with both sets of constraints in mind -- however unpleasant and
impossible they are.  I have ways of beating all of these, but it is sort of
like sucking spaghetti through a straw while standing on your head; messy,
highly unorthodox, and very, very strange to see.  Having done a
simple-minded scheduling and traffic analysis, it was decided to dump Remedy
and Goldmine altogether (security, speed, and a lousy user interface
probably had a lot to do with that), and some prior bad experiences with
Microsoft IIS servers moved everything over to Apache, with a hardened
enterprise server edition.  Having decided that transforming everything to a
pure-Java environment would exceed the pain tolerance for initial applet
down-load delays, the only bits left were PHP, JavaScript, and whatever
XML/DHTML fragments could continue to function in this lame environment.
All this was before they brought me on board.

Ugly, ain't it?

-- Dave Lovering