[Javascript] How to change window status

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Thu Aug 28 11:27:07 CDT 2003

I agree with the other chap -- what we have here is a syntax problem with too many quotes of the wrong sort.  Escape the inner double-quotes (so they don't break the parsing structure for the tag), and you should be OK.

Thusly:

menu.addMenuItem("<a class='M' href='/index1.php' style='text-decoration: none' target='info' onmouseover='window.status=\"blah-blah-blah\" '>Click here</a>");

and we should be good to go.  You do need to use both sorts of quotes, because consecutive descending child objects must be delineated by distinctive separators.  [Or so I recall].

If you want to insert a variable in place of "blah-blah-blah", you can try the following:

var myString = "blah-blah-blah";

var newItem = "<a class='M' href='/index.php' style='text-decoration: none' target='info' onmouseover='window.status=\" ' + myString + ' \" ' > Click here </a>";
menu.addMenuItem( newItem );

[ depending on the flavor of JavaScript (1.0, 2.0, etc.) you may need to wrap the newItem declaration in an eval, although I didn't need to on any of my tests. ]

Just on general principles, I'd probably suggest escape(myString) instead of raw myString -- just in case "myString" has any funky characters in it.

-- Dave Lovering