[Javascript] "Multiple" Select controls and popup objects.

Matt Barton javascript at mattbarton.org
Mon Apr 19 10:41:54 CDT 2004

Hi,

This is a win/ie5.5+ issue only so anyone offended by that can switch off now if they like ;)

I have a menu system in my app which lives inside a popup object [i.e. window.createPopup()] which has been behaving just fine for months.  However today I noticed an odd quirk which I can't explain, let alone work around.

When the popup menu appears it covers a set of html frames which can each contain a variety of html controls.  When one of the controls covered by the popup is a <select multiple="true"> control then when moving the mouse over the popup I can see the multiple select underneath flickering, as if the popup is disapearing then being redrawn very very quickly.  It seems to be when the mouse moves over the borders of table cells on the popup.  There's no onMouseMove, onMouseOver or onMouseOut events defined anywhere and there's no problem with any other kind of control (even <select> controls which aren't "multiple").

Anyone hazard any ideas? It the moment I'm putting it down to (yet another) unspecific vagary of how IE handles (or not) select controls.  This is rapidly becoming my favourite pet hate... grrr.

Cheers,

Matt