[Javascript] form mail question - newbie level

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Thu Apr 29 16:23:28 CDT 2004

After reading the progress of this thread, I want to ask: why email to you?

   Aside from getting out of a technical implementation issue, I would think there may be a better
solution available.  Of course i don't know what you do with this information once it lands in
your inbox, but i'm wondering if your customer wouldn't be equally served by a list of contacts
they can download periodically?

   The server-side form handler could append the data to a fixed-format (CSV?) text file named
according to some convention (date stamped?) which could be downloaded by the appropriately
authorized FTP client.  These files could be manually appended to a local archive then removed
from the server.  (OR: In our environment, we would use a (microsoft SQL2000) DTS package to
automatically FTP the file and store it in the database for later use in queries.)

   If this business starts making some money, they might want to consider a $10+ a month web host
that allows email or perhaps offers access to a database engine.  My $0.02: remind your business
customer not to be too "cheap" on their website/hosting just to save a few bucks per month.  If a
modest site generates just one sale per month, it (probably) will have paid for itself.