[Javascript] form mail question - newbie level

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Thu Apr 29 16:28:09 CDT 2004

>I know that this can be done with cgi (such as formmail) but this account does not include cgi
>support.
>
>Is there a way to email the contents entered into a form (text as well as selections from
>drop-down lists, radio buttons etc) without using cgi?

   I think my previous post is still valid, but re-reading it i wonder how you can do ANYTHING
without cgi?  That precludes the processing of any form submission, doesn't it?

   If so, the best i can imagine (without testing) would be to have your collection of form values
be represented as a string and stuffed into a construct like: <a href='mailto:
user at host.com?subject=valuestring'>Submit</a>  This would require that each form object would
cause the "valuestring" to be recomputed and the link updated, and more importantly that the user
wouldn't cancel the message when their mail client opened.

   I would be interested to see what solution you come up with, so when you have it working,
please post a reminder/link here for us to check it out.