[Javascript] Regular Expressions

liorean liorean at f2o.org
Fri Apr 30 10:41:52 CDT 2004

shawn_milochik at godivachoc.com wrote:
> One particular passion of mine is regular expressions.

Same here.

> Perhaps there are already regex experts on the list, but in my experience,
> I have run across very few people
> who have even heard of them, except for Perl programmers.

Well, you just need to hang around the right people. Have a look at
placed like <http://codingforums.com/> for instance, there you can find
your fair share of javascripters that are pretty regex savvy.

> For a quick idea about what a regex is and what it can do, I've put up a
> quick primer for my LUG.  I'll post the
> link below.  It is supposed to be very basic, and the syntax shown is not
> exactly the way it is used in
> Javascript, but I'll be happy to provide more advanced and
> Javascript-specific examples if anyone is interested.
>
> http://linurati.net/rlug/content/regex.html
> (Forgive the page for not being pretty -- it tries to be easy to
> understand, not necessarily to look at)  ;o)

Well, there are articles and tutorials on it out there, made
specifically for JavaScript. I've written an article that can also work
as a rather complete reference for eVolt, that was also published on
JavaScript Kit (formerly Website Abstraction) later on. Why don't you
have a look?

<http://evolt.org/article/Regular_Expressions_in_JavaScript/17/36435> or
<http://wsabstract.com/javatutors/redev.shtml>

JavaScript Kit also has a more basic regex tutorial on
<http://wsabstract.com/javatutors/re.shtml>.
--
David "liorean" Andersson

ViewStyles, ViewScripts, SwitchStyles and GraphicsInfo bookmarklets:
<http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>
Hangouts:
<http://codingforums.com/> <http://yourmusicforums.com/>