[Javascript] Replacing link text with random string of equivalent size...

Ben Mauer me at telephag.nu
Fri Aug 6 11:18:50 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I have a challenge for the community here. I need a possibly simple,
possibly complex, but definitely not common JavaScript.

Basically, I'm making a website for an exhibition and symposium on the
power and pathologies of networks, with a focus on computer viruses /
viral outbreaks. Here's an early mockup...

http://www.watsoninstitute.org/infopeace/ppn/mockups/ppn7.html

I want a JavaScript that basically takes paragraph text, links,
whatever -- and on rollover, replaces it on-the-fly with an equivalent
number of random characters and numbers with a roughly equivalent
amount of spaces (basically gibberish -- what an Arabic or Chinese
language site looks like when you don't have the proper font). When the
user moves their mouse out of the particular piece of text (contained
by paragraphs or h3 tags or whatever), it's replaced with the original
text. I imagine this will take some serious mucking about and parsing
in the JavaScript DOM. Though, if it were just links, perhaps the scope
of the problem would be less?

The general idea is to give the impression that the site is in flux,
you could mess it up at any moment, ultimately expressing the delicacy
and manipulability of data.

I'd need the script in by next Wednesday (August 11), preferably
sooner. I can offer a small amount of money (in the realm of $50 to
$150 depending on the scope of the problem).

Some articles I think might help get his/her juices flowing:
http://www.felgall.com/jstip42.htm
http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/javascript/number/random.html
http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/domparse.html

Thanks,