[Javascript] Dynamic breadcrumbs script

Atkins, Kevin D kevin.atkins at nwa.com
Tue Aug 24 09:18:04 CDT 2004

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. The script I found and am trying to use comes from
your site called Dynamic Breadcrumbs, I am attaching the code I am
using. I can also send a few test pages to see how I have added in the
javascript code to call the external breadcrumb file.

You can't view any of the files on my site because it is a secured
Intranet site that only employees are allowed to login into and view. I
am hoping you don't need to view the actual pages on my site to help me
modify the script?

I will try to describe my site and file structure in case this can help
to understand the layout and how I think the code is acting. I share a
server instance with another department, we both have a separate virtual
server to store our files. An example of my area is
www.something.com/fop at this level is my index.html page.

I changed the var startname in the breadcrumb script to Home. When the
breadcrumb code runs it rights out Home > correctly on my index.html
page. The url assigned is www.something.com/fop, it does not show
index.html in the url link as the page to load. Clicking the Home
breadcrumb reloads the index.html page, leading me to think the
breadcrumb code thinks every breadcrumb link will have an index.html
file in the folders or directories.

I created 2 test links on my test index page, the folder structure is
/fop/page1 and /fop/page1/page2. When Test page 1 is selected on the
index.html page the breadcrumb gets written ok as Home > Page1 > Test
Page 1. The breadcrumb url link for Test page1 is written as
www.something.com/fop/page1/. If you click the Page1 breadcrumb url it
does not reload test page1 called test-page1.html. Instead it displays a
file list of all files in the page1 folder. I think because it does not
see an index.html page in the page1 folder.

What I am trying to get is the breadcrumb url to be written as
www.something.com/fop/page1/test-page1.html. The same thing happens for
test page 2. Is there a way for the breadcrumbs.js file to actually read
the url of the page you are on and write that into the breadcrumb url
link and not assume it is index.html?

I am sorry if my explanation doesn't make sense, I hope it does? If you
can't help because you can't see the files in actual use, that's ok, I
will just have to look for another script somewhere. Thanks for your
time.

Kevin Atkins
Sr. Analyst Flight Operations
612-727-6732