[Javascript] Dynamic breadcrumbs script

Paul Novitski paul at novitskisoftware.com
Tue Aug 24 12:10:24 CDT 2004

Kevin,

I figured out what you meant by the possessive pronoun "your" in your
posting: you were thinking that a script you found in the LaTech JavaScript
archives is the collective child of the current listserve
membership.  Instead, this listserve is a loose collection of individuals
each contributing their own bits to the collective soup.  Any script
contributed by a listserve member is the intellectual child of that member,
and may not be known to or understood by other members.  Not a critical
distinction, but one worth noting for future reference.

I suspect that the script you're referring to is the dynamic breadcrumbs
script written by Harry Love, as described in
https://lists.latech.edu/pipermail/javascript/2002-August/004019.html

His script is located at
<http://healthlinks.washington.edu/scripts/dynacrumbs.js>http<http://healthlinks.washington.edu/scripts/dynacrumbs.js>://healthlinks.washington.edu/scripts/dynacrumbs.js

Quickly perusing Harry's script, I see that it creates breadcrumb links in
the format
         Base > node > node > node
from the current page's URL.

In a quick test, I didn't see the final node (the html file itself)
included in the breadcrumb array, regardless of its file name (index.html
or dynacrumbs.html).  It seems clear that Harry was deliberately omitting
that node.

The final for/next loop of the script begins this way (where urlL is the
number of nodes in the URL):

         if(urlL>2)
         {
                 for(x=startPoint+1;x<urlL;x++)
                 {
                         if(x<urlL-1)

In other words, that last if-test is excluding the final node of the
array.  If you change that last line to:

                         if(x<urlL)

then your html file name will be displayed.  You might wish to tweak the
display by deleting the file extension, etc.

Good luck,
Paul