[Javascript] Serious browser detection.

Andrew Crawford javascript at evermore.com
Mon Mar 15 17:05:55 CST 2004

Greetings,

I'm curious: is there some particular or common reason to use JavaScript
rather than server-side browser detection?

This Open Source solution can do what you describe doing with JavaScript
and can handle Safari version detection.  They seem to keep it fairly
up-to-date and it all runs on the server as a PHP script:

    http://phpsniff.sourceforge.net

In any case, you might find some useful (and more relevant) information in
Apple's Safari developer FAQ:

    http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/safari_faq.html

Andrew Crawford
Javascript at Evermore.com