[Javascript] Serious browser detection.

Håkan Magnusson hakan at backbase.com
Tue Mar 16 03:13:49 CST 2004

Thanks Andrew, but it has to be client side, the company I work for are
developing a web application framework written in JavaScript. This
framework have no requirements on web server software, and we can't add
it because of the browser detection. ;)

> In any case, you might find some useful (and more relevant) information in Apple's Safari developer FAQ:

Thanks again, but to quote someone wittier than me, it seems that Apples
idea of a "reference" is a a couple of pages where they brag about what
their software almost could do if they didn't release the beta version.

<warning:semi-political-views>
It is so obvious that Apple really want people to think that Safari is
just as cool (and standards compliant) as Mozilla/Camino (just have a
look at the userAgent string, "KHTML, like Gecko", geez) when the actual
support for *anything* is close to none. Why, oh why, Apple, didn't you
use a working, accepted, standards compliant, non-beta browser engine
instead of this crap we have to deal with now?
</warning:semi-political-views>

Again, thanks anyway. This is not a critical problem (until people start
spoofing Safaris useragent string...) and I was merely reaching in the
dark for a more comprehensive object reference than I have now.

Regards,
Hakan