[Javascript] table collapse bug in IE6?

Paul Novitski paul at dandemutande.org
Sat Mar 27 10:49:19 CST 2004

Thanks for your solid comments, Dave.

>Believe me, having all the columns change width on every reselect looks
>incredibly shabby (unprofessional, etc. etc.), and this trick lets the
>original dynamic column widths define what the subsequent table redraws
>will use -- the best of both worlds.

I agree completely.  I will tweak my code accordingly.

I have, by the way, rewritten the script to destroy & rebuild the display
table on each re-select, and of course the phantom borders are no longer a
problem.  But I'm still curious to know whether they were caused by bad
coding by me or by Microsoft.  I've haven't seen this bug mentioned on the net.

One clue to the nature of the problem might be that the most persistent
phantom borders appear to originate in the initial rendering of the
table.  When I return to the all-records view, none of the phantoms are
visible (they've either disappeared or they're in alignment with the
intended cell borders).

Has anyone coded or run across a successful use of this technique,
modifying a table on the fly by hiding & showing selected rows?  If there's
a working example I could look at, I'd be grateful.

Paul