[Javascript] OT: Server-side Scripting / Maintaining state

Chris T christ at saeweb.com
Tue May 11 15:40:20 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Brunone" <peter at brunone.com>
To: <javascript at LaTech.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Javascript] OT: Server-side Scripting / Maintaining state

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspnet/html/asp12282000.asp
(watch for wrapping) gives a brief but comprehensive overview of ASP.NET
session (this was written for the beta version, but aside from some possible
syntactical differences, the processes are still the same).

Ok, I just checked it out. Here's the part that answers my question (but
still shows my point that if you use sessions, you're using cookies):
ASP maintains session state by providing the client with a unique key
assigned to the user when the session begins. This key is stored in an HTTP
cookie that the client sends to the server on each request. The server can
then read the key from the cookie and re-inflate the server session state.