[Javascript] OT: Server-side Scripting / Maintaining state

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Tue May 11 13:48:16 CDT 2004

   ViewState *is* used an awful lot -- a practice which I try to avoid when possible -- but it is not the mechanism used for Session in ASP.NET (good thing, too, since it can become corrupted on occasion).

   You still have cookies for most implementations, but when you go cookieless, all relative links are modified with a sessionID (similar to the effect of the Cookie Munger in the old NT Resource Kit, but this a breeze to implement).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspnet/html/asp12282000.asp  (watch for wrapping) gives a brief but comprehensive overview of ASP.NET session (this was written for the beta version, but aside from some possible syntactical differences, the processes are still the same).