[Javascript] Opening a Window without blocking ??

Tim Makins spindrift at oceanfree.net
Tue Nov 23 02:37:54 CST 2004

I have a mapping program (HTML and javascript pages) that starts with a
normal page (i.e. with full 'chrome' - address bar, file menu, etc.). After
a short delay, it opens a new window for the content and closes the old one.
The new window has no address bar, file menu; only the status bar. I do this
to maximise the screen area for map-viewing, and because the 'forward' and
'back' buttons aren't wanted - the maps have their own navigation methods.

The problem is.... popup-blockers. When I open the new window, it is blocked
by people's popup blockers, which they don't like turning off just to view
my maps. Worse than this, Windows XP, which I don't have here, seems to take
more drastic action, using something called the 'Information Bar', which
again people don't want to turn off just to see the maps.

So, my question is, what can I do about it ?? I need to open a browser that
contains just a status bar, but I need to do it without triggering popup
blockers or other XP active-X blockers.

Tim in Ireland.