[Javascript] Opening a Window without blocking ??

Tim Makins spindrift at oceanfree.net
Wed Nov 24 09:25:11 CST 2004

Thanks so much for your reply, David. Its really appreciated.

First of all, I hope I made clear that these suite of web pages are only
running on a local computer - either from the CD drive, or the hard drive.

Your first point, about user-action - do you mean something like this ?

function popup(page_name) {
var windowAtts;
windowAtts =
"width=792,height=520,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=yes,menub
ar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,copyhistory=no";
   var courseWindow = window.open(page_name,"",windowAtts);
//Define current window
parentwin = window.self;
//Declare current window as its own child
parentwin.opener = window.self;
//Close current window
parentwin.close();

On your other point, HTA and Signed Scripting: I have spent the morning
looking through the Internet to see what else I could learn about this. HTA
turned out to be not so good here, as I do need the Status Bar to be on
show, and it doesn't provide one. It shouldn't be too difficult for me to
add a lower frame that mirrors it, though, if that turns out to be the best
way to go. I obviously need to look in this some more, and see what needs to
be changed on each html page. Do you know if HTA will definitely be OK in
XP-sp2 ?

Scripted Signing - most of the resources on the web seemed to be about exe
files, not html pages. One very clear page was this one
http://www.kylealons.com/Articles/codesigning.html but again, no mention of
html. Do you have a link to a resource that explains how to use scripted
signing for html pages ?

I am still working through the XP security link you provided - wow there's a
frighteningly large amount in there for web designers !!

Tim in Ireland.