[Javascript] MS Debugger

Kim Hoogenberg kim.hoogenberg at virgil.nl
Wed Oct 20 12:11:43 CDT 2004

Hershel Robinson wrote:

>I use Windows 2000 and I use Microsoft's Script Debugger a LOT. I find it to
>be of great help for debugging my JS on MSIE 6. In actuality, all I use it
>for is to show me the offending line of code (the standard message only says
>what line but not what file) and I use the eval box to alert() values
>sometimes. If anyone knows of a good place to see how to use other features,
>I would be interested.
>
>The reason I am writing, however, is that my debugger has suddenly become
>broken. The icon comes up on my task bar, but no window appears. It seems to
>be broken since Thursday when I updated my OS thusly:
>
>Successful Thursday, October 14, 2004 Security Update for Windows 2000
>(KB824151)
>Successful Thursday, October 14, 2004 Security Update for Windows 2000
>(KB841533)
>Successful Thursday, October 14, 2004 Security Update for Windows 2000
>(KB840987)
>Successful Thursday, October 14, 2004 Security Update for Windows 2000
>(KB841356)
>Successful Thursday, October 14, 2004 Cumulative Security Update for
>Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB834707) Web
>
>I did try to reinstall the debugger, but it's still not working. I am not
>certain how to proceed.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thank you,
>Hershel

The MS debugger just is some wack shit as I've always expected from MS
te be... Most of the times it takes me to wrong line numbers and even
empty ones. Furthermore, it takes a lot of resources, is very slow and
causes my browser to not interpret HTML until I close the debugger. I
just can't do anything useful with it. At least not without frustrating
myself each and everytime. Also the switch between showing an icon in
the bottom corner and popping up the debugger is purely undeterministic.
It just changes every now and then without changing any configuration.

The good part. Develop your websites/applications according to the DOM
specifications. You are then able to use Mozilla/Firefox to display them
correctly and use the debugger that comes with those browsers. I use
'Venkman' debugger myself and that's a whole lot better then the one
that comes with MS. After debugging also check if IE renders everything
correctly and your done.

Hope this helps..

Cheers,

Kim