[Javascript] cross browser dhtml - text replacement

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sat Sep 4 17:42:11 CDT 2004

Matt Warden wrote:

>>Do you have the relevant parts in try/catch blocks?
>
> No, I'm not. I use them in Java, but I was unaware they were available
> in Javascript.

Yes, and it's a nice addition to your debugging repertoire.

> http://mwarden.f2o.org/countdown_test.php
>
> This one does not seem to exhibit the "osec has no properties" error.
> However, it still does not work in IE/Win (not sure about IE/Mac).

Do you have the Microsoft Script Debugger installed? Because it's
halting on this line:

	secs = (osec.innerHTML)-0;

:: proving that even IE, in its secret heart of hearts, knows that
innerHTML is the TOOL OF SATAN  :-)

OK, just ignore that; here's the fix:

function decrement()
{
	var secs = 0;
	var mins = 0;
	var hrs  = 0;
	var days = 0;

// get thee behind me, innerHTML! :-)  secs = (osec.innerHTML)-0;

	secs = parseInt(osec.firstChild.nodeValue);
	mins = parseInt(omin.firstChild.nodeValue);
	hrs =  parseInt(ohrs.firstChild.nodeValue);
	days = parseInt(oday.firstChild.nodeValue);

I'd fix the setValue() to not use innerHTML, too, but that's me. And
it works on Safari, but not IE5.2/Mac. Sigh. Big surprise. I'll try
to take a look at that later but I've gotta run do something else now.

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.