[Javascript] XMLHttpRequest help (yeah, yeah, I know)

Mike Stickel mike at screenflicker.com
Tue Aug 2 17:03:25 CDT 2005

On Aug 2, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Flavio Gomes wrote:

> Would it be a big problem if you simply downloaded all the quotes
> to the user in an array and then choose one randomly through
> "myQuotes[Math.floor(Math.random() * myQuotes.length)]".

<snip>

> Yeah, it's f**king newbie stuff.. T_T
> But soooo pretty much crossbrowser and stuff

Flavio, hat may be what I fall back on but right now the list of
quotes is about 50+ and it will only get bigger. I'd rather the
client played around in an XML file than the Javascript file when
adding new quotes.

> http://www.devx.com/webdev/Article/28695
>
> There is an example of simple DOM manipulations based on the XML
> content received in the downloadable code. If you have questions, let
> me know.
>
> - --
> Matt Warden

Matt, this helps a little bit but I'm still confused. I've modified
the Apple developer example[1] to work with my data/XML file but I
don't want the user to have to click on the lists for the quote to
show. I'd like one quote to show up right away and then use next/
previous links to change the quotes. I may be way off base in this
type of application of Javascript but then again, that's why I'm
asking the questions.

[1] http://developer.apple.com/internet/webcontent/xmlhttpreq.html

Mike Stickel
Screenflicker Developments