[Javascript] An image loader working in FF but not in Opera, Safari...

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 07:05:06 CDT 2005

On 7/14/05, Guillaume <javascript at webdesignofficina.com> wrote:
>  Timothy thanks because this is exactly what i want to do...
>  I have a div displaying a loading message above ( masking ) another div in
> wich is my image to load...
>  When the image is loaded, the masking div is removed...
>  For accessibility i'd like not to hide the image with css as visitors
> without Js enabled will never see anything if the Js not starts...
>  The mask on the other hand is hidden with css and fired / removed with Js,
> for the same reasons.
>  I have setup two examples:
>  My attempt, wich apparently does nothing ( on Safari Opera etc... ), except
> if you look at it with Firefox does it job perfectly.
>  The attempt we built with Roger Roelofs wich is working cross browser with
> the addition of a fading mask effect ( wich will be removed ).
>  I think this last script is nearly perfect ( thanks to Roger ) but has
> still one downside: the loading message within the masking div doesn't fire
> early enough, so you'll see the image loading 1 second before the mask is
> displayed.
>  If you could help us as you mention this would be a relative easy script to
> build, i would be delighted...
>  Thanks a lot...
>
>  Guillaume.

Hmm. In Firefox on Ubuntu 64 (Hoary) I see the loading message, then
it fades out and the picture loading starts and is visible the entire
I did get a javascript error.
Error: setting a property that has only a getter
Source File: http://www.hablablow.com/devX/loadTest2/testXXX2.htm
Line: 95

When I get a chance I'll look into it more. Seeing as I'm preparing
for a hiking comp this weekend and haven't even started packing or
finished my costume it'll have to be Monday.
Keep us updated as you work on it and I'll see what I can do when I'm back.

Tim

p.s. I like the fact the img is set to fit in the browser window. I
really hate scrolling large images.