[Javascript] onclick - unobtrusive javascript

Tim Burgan email at timburgan.com
Fri Jul 22 21:14:05 CDT 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to use some unobtrusive Javascript by separating behavior
from structure.

When an element is clicked, I am unable to change it's text color to red.
But for the same element, the code does work if I choose to open a new
window on click.

Is there any particular reason why I can't get this to work? My code is
attached below.

Thanks

Tim

<script type="text/javascript">
   function doPopups()
   {
      if ( !document.getElementsByTagName )
         return false;

      var links = document.getElementsByTagName("a");

      for ( var i = 0; i < links.length; i++ )
      {
         if ( links[i].className.match("change") )
         {
            links[i].onclick = function()
            {
               // this line works