[Javascript] Refresh needed and Jumping Div's (IE6/Win)

Paul Novitski paul at novitskisoftware.com
Fri Jul 29 13:51:28 CDT 2005

At 09:50 AM 7/29/2005, Glenn E. Lanier, II wrote:
>I'm not sure it was the correct method, but I modified the page to hide
>the containing div, then show the inner div(s), then re-show the
>containing div. That seemed to fix my initial problem. The second problem
>was rectified via CSS change, and I am assuming the "button" jumping
>around on a hover is also CSS/IE related.

Glenn,

I think the risk you face by toggling display is that most screen readers
don't "see" page elements whose display property is changed from none to
block.  Therefore a page that uses that technique will not be wholly
functional for visitors who use visually assistive technology.

As an alternative, you could consider this technique:

         div.hide
         {
                 position: absolute;
                 margin-left: -1000em;
         }

         div.show
         {
                 position: static;
                 margin-left: 0;
         }

The effect will be similar to toggling display from none to block: while
hidden, the element is taken out of the normal flow and other items will
close up the gap.  When shown, it will suddenly reassert itself in the
layout.  For screen readers, I believe the element will remain present at
all times at its position in the HTML markup.

Paul