[Javascript] Inverting a regex pattern

Shawn Milo shawn.milo at gmail.com
Mon May 2 07:35:19 CDT 2005

If I understand properly, are you asking for a way to find out if
something *doesn't* match your regex? If so, just test for a match,
and then you can do something on false.

if (someValue.match(regEx)){
   //do this
}else{
   //do that
}

OR

if (someValue.match(regEx) == false){
   //do this
}

If I'm misunderstanding your question, please elaborate.

Shawn
On 5/1/05, David Lovering <dlovering at gazos.com> wrote:
> Here's another question that I'm sure can be answered quickly, and then I'll
> spend the next month feeling stupid for having asked it --
>
> Is there a quick-and-dirty way of creating a complementary regular
> expression, given another?  For example, if somebody gives me
>
>     var re = /^\([2-9][0-9]{2}\)\b[2-9][0-9]{2}\-[0-9]{4}$/;
>
> [a rather crude phone number pattern-match], can I do something like
>
>     var not_re = /[^(re)]?/;        // obviously invalid, for a number of
> very good reasons //
>
> to look for the shortest string which violates the original pattern?  If I
> could come up with something like that, my life would be complete and I
> would lack for nothing... [***]
>
> -- Dave Lovering
>
> *** Obviously a corollary of the "simple pleasures for simple minds" adage

Voicemail any time at:
206-666-MILO