[Javascript] Call an external program?

Miles Thompson miles at allnovascotia.com
Thu Apr 27 09:29:02 CDT 2006

I've looked through my JS book, and Googled, but I cannot find anything
like PHP's exec() command in JavaScript.

What I want to do is this:

	When the operator leaves the "pay_method" combo box, if it has been
changed to either "VISA" or "M-C", trigger a call to a credit card
maintenance program (CC_app) that runs on the local desktop. This program
does NOT run in a browser.

I sort of think it could be done with a Java applet, and the applet could
watch the combo box for the change and make the call, but I'm not sure.
Then we would end up downloading the applet on every page refresh.

Opinions? Suggestions?

What I am suggesting now is to keep the CC_app open and use an alert() to
remind the user who can then Alt+Tab to it.

Tks in advance - Miles Thompson