[Javascript] Call an external program?

David Dorward david at dorward.me.uk
Thu Apr 27 10:08:31 CDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:29:02AM -0300, Miles Thompson wrote:
> I've looked through my JS book, and Googled, but I cannot find anything
> like PHP's exec() command in JavaScript.

JavaScript, when run in a web browser, is very heavily sandboxed so
generally you can't do this.

I believe that Internet Explorer and Mozilla based browsers have ways
of working around this, but I'm not sure of what has to be done. I
have a feeling there is a requirement to not be running the webpage
over the network, or at least have security turned way down low.