[Javascript] JS Marquee - HTML4.01 Strict DTD

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Mon Aug 7 10:09:34 CDT 2006

At 1:56 AM +0000 8/7/06, Troy III Ajnej wrote:
>  > What did I do wrong?
>
>The main problem lies in the first line of code:
>
><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>
>"<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd>http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
>
>You've declared Strict DTD while it obviously isn't.

No disrespect intended, but why isn't it?

The only error was one reported by your use of the <script> tag
without declaring type -- I didn't catch that and I didn't want to
alter your code.

My understanding of STRICT is that one's code does not use
depreciated attributes and elements -- and my web pages usually
adhere to that. I do occasionally apply exceptions while testing, but
my final projects all validate.

Now, back to the original topic.

Your latest code works great "as-is", see:

http://xn--ovg.com/marquee/index5.php

The addition of my BOX doesn't stop it from working, see:

http://xn--ovg.com/marquee/index6.php

Congratulations, your code is very short. Roger solved the same
problem with this:

http://xn--ovg.com/marquee/index4.php

But, his solution requires more code.

I shall test both and report back to the list which one works "best"
across several browsers and platforms.

Thanks to both you and Roger for your time and code.

tedd

--
-------