Charset (Was: RE: [Javascript] JS Marquee - Advanced!

Roland Neilands rneilands at pulsemining.com.au
Sun Aug 13 18:53:53 CDT 2006

> Up to now, I never made the connection that if I place a charset at
> UFT-8 in a web page document that I should also save the document as a
> UTF-8 file. I'm sure that I am not alone in this error. I'm also not
> sure as to how to save a document as UTF-8 encoding in the first place.

Even notepad has an encoding selection in the save as box. You should
also consider your target fonts if changing it.
It's worth noting here that XML (and so xhtml too - not sure how the
meta stuff or IE's prolog bug interacts) DEFAULTS to utf-8 unless you
specify otherwise in the prolog eg. <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
This is a pain if you've accepted whatever editors save as default
encoding & it's not utf-8 - some apps will choke, others may work fine.

Cheers,
Roland