Charset (Was: RE: [Javascript] JS Marquee - Advanced!

David Dorward david at dorward.me.uk
Mon Aug 14 01:50:32 CDT 2006

Roland Neilands wrote:

> It's worth noting here that XML (and so xhtml too - not sure how the
> meta stuff or IE's prolog bug interacts) DEFAULTS to utf-8 unless you
> specify otherwise in the prolog eg. <?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

Although text/* documents have a different default encoding, and
Appendix C of the XHTML Spec could be interpreted as forbidding the XML
prolog in XHTML served as text/html, which effectively requires that the
document be UTF-8 and this stated explicitly in the HTTP headers.

(This is one reason I avoid client side XHTML at present)