[Javascript] Re: sounds

David Merchant merchant at LATECH.EDU
Thu Jun 22 09:59:25 CDT 2006

>I hope this isn't inappropriate to ask, but with respect to my sound
>query, would those interested, please review:
>http://xn--ovg.com/snd

Worked fine in Portable Firefox 1.5.0.4, on XP SP2 PC.

With I.E. 7 beta 2 (XP), I could play the sounds, though I had to click on
the "Click to run an ActiveX control on this webpage" for each sound (thus,
three times).

Opera 7.54 (XP), couldn't get it to work, even though QuickTime is
installed on my PC and works in other versions of Opera on my PC.   It
would say "The QuickTime Plug-in requires the QuickTime System extension
version 5 or later." I even reinstalled QuickTime, but to no avail. The box
had 3-D borders.

Opera 8.52 (XP), wouldn't work either (though didn't give any error
messages about QuickTime). Every now and then, when refreshing, I would get
an invalid URL error. If I hit "Hear Again" or the "no" buttons I get an
Illegal address error, Box looked flat, no 3-D borders.

Opera 9.0 (XP), the sounds worked fine, but the box increased in height
from about 293 px to 442 px (would reset when refreshed, but would increase
in height again once the sounds played). The "Hear Again" button didn't
work. The box also looked very flat as well, no 3-D borders.

Additional Notes:

(1) Using Eudora 5.1 on XP SP2, when clicking on the http://xn--ovg.com/snd
link in the email, I get a "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded"
alert. I can, however, copy the URL into my Firefox browser and all is well.

(2) With I.E. 7 beta 2, I get a "This web address contains letters or
symbols that cannot be displayed with the current language settings" but it
still allowed me to play the sounds.

(3) There is a JavaScript article at
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/noclicktoactivate.html which gives some info
on how to avoid click-to-activate found in I.E. 6+ and sometimes in Opera 9+.

TTFN,
David

--
Director of Integrated Technology