[Javascript] Re: sounds IE tested worikng!

Troy III Ajnej trojani2000 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 27 22:01:10 CDT 2006

Ted,
I'm sorry I have to disappoint you. It seems that none of other major browsers is capable to provide
you with eough control this simple task requires, except Internet Explorer 4 through 7.

After solving the preload issue, that could cause the browser to skip playing the first file or even mix
the following with previous. I was almost sure I can get it to work, but it didn't!

I've even removed the BGSOUND tag completely to se if I can get it right on IE using EMBED only.
I did it and it did work. But the problem is: Netscape who introduced it can't handle it. Firefox of course not.
Opera neither.
Yes you are free to preload audios through EMBED tag but you can't do with it anything else.
They stay mute because they don't support embeded.object.play()  command. And you can't change the SRC
attribute either. Especially not in any browser running on MAC.
There were two alternatives but none supported. To either change the source of embed tag dynamically or (worst)
to create a separate player plug-in instance for every audio file and then make them play with the timer control.
The first didn't work through because, none of the browsers except IE was able to dynamically change the source
of the file in EMBED. And the second, because turning the Autostart from false to true doesn't do anything after the
embed has loaded. And because play() command is not supported by any of other mozillas except IE.
At the end the Readystate check becomes obsolete even if supported by other primitive browsers refusing to evolve.

Ajax, fajax etc are all the same bullshit, reusing IE technology (and lately flash) through simple scripts people like us used to publish.
I remember seeing some codes from early stage of ajax development. All it does is send unsupported methods to their
server for processing on IE browser (illegally) then simply retrieving results from it to render back in your client.
Any time their server(s) go down, your pages will stop responding throwing very ugly errors at your clients. Several server
round trips are often required thus making your pages as slow as they can get.

Pity, firefox is pushing Ajax instead of pushing standards move forward.

Troy III
progressive art enterprise