[Javascript] Re: Wiki for the list

David Merchant merchant at LATECH.EDU
Sun Nov 12 22:00:52 CST 2006

Good points made so far. The CSS-D list does have a larger base (while we
do have close to 1,000 subscribers, the CSS-D list is much larger), so they
are more able to have enough qualified maintainers. I agree that the wiki
shouldn't be another script site, there are plenty of those already. I much
rather see a site where folk who ask common questions or who ask for
recommendations can come and find such information can be summarized. True,
we have the archives, but wiki's are a bit more accessible.

I would not want to make the wiki open to anyone (that is, editable by
anyone), I think restricting editing rights to list members would help
lower the spamming to a degree. Or maybe restrict it to a Wiki board - a
group of list volunteers willing to add content to the wiki as needed. At
the very least, I agree with Roger that we need folk who are willing to
check on/update the content over time. The list does have a web site, but
it's resources page is out dated. I ask for updates from time to time, but
it would be easier if people could just update it themselves when they come
across a site with good info on a particular subject. As Paul says:
"Perhaps what we should aim at is more like a community FAQ, heavier on
links to content than on content itself." The content we do have could be
the recommendations section for javascript software, editors, and books.
Also, a place to list off-topics sources (that would be definitely a
category that is heavier on links than on content of course).

TTFN,
David