[Javascript] [Beginner] What is going on with my show/hidefunction?

Mark Wonsil wonsil at 4m-ent.com
Mon Nov 13 19:37:12 CST 2006

> > Probably the most common reason is to keep the visual display
> > compact.  How much material can fit in a screenload (or in any given
> > amount of space) is a purely visual issue that can be addressed
> > independently of the structural organization of content.
>
> I'm being unclear.
>
> I agree with the reasonings for collapsing data in such a way. My
> question is: if such reasons exist for a sighted user, why would they
> not also exist (even more so!) for a blind user using a screen reader?

I'm no expert at screen readers but I believe the ability to skip text is
built into the reader which is not so for visual browsers. A visual browser
would collapse sections to make it easy to skip text but a screen reader has
commands that will read headers [1]. One can tell the reader:

- Read all Headings
- Read First Heading (ALT+INSERT+HOME)
- Read the next heading (CONTROL+INSERT+ENTER)
- Read the previous heading (SHIFT+CONTROL+INSERT+ENTER)
- Read the first H2 (ALT+CONTROL+INSERT+2)
- Read the next H2 (ALT+INSERT+2)
Etc.

So why search for a solution where none is necessary? Or am I misunderstanding
your point?

Mark W.

1. http://accessibility.psu.edu/jaws.html