[Javascript] [Beginner] What is going on with my show/hidefunction?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:45:02 CST 2006

On 11/13/06, Mark Wonsil <wonsil at 4m-ent.com> wrote:
> - Read all Headings
> - Read First Heading (ALT+INSERT+HOME)
> - Read the next heading (CONTROL+INSERT+ENTER)
> - Read the previous heading (SHIFT+CONTROL+INSERT+ENTER)
> - Read the first H2 (ALT+CONTROL+INSERT+2)
> - Read the next H2 (ALT+INSERT+2)
> Etc.
>
> So why search for a solution where none is necessary? Or am I misunderstanding
> your point?

These screen reader functions are intended to simulate what a visual
user would do. A visual user can skip to the next question in an FAQ,
but it is often easier to read all of them linearly until you find one
you're interested in.

My point is that if we make this case for visual users, I don't see
why we wouldn't also make the case for screen reader users.

Yes, the screen reader *can* move to the next item when content is
fully expanded (assuming it is correctly marked up).

Yes, a visual user *can* move to the next item when content is fully expanded.

I'm not searching for a solution when one is not needed. In fact, the
person suggesting the offleft technique is. I'm saying that there is
no need to handle the situation in two ways when one makes sense for
both types of users.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA