[Javascript] Hiding email addresses

David Dorward david at dorward.me.uk
Thu Sep 28 02:15:38 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 03:06:13PM +0900, Scott Petersen wrote:

> This should send mail to BigBoy at someDomain.com. My question is: Does this
> really slow down the address collectors?

It probably slows down some ... but its really not hard to write a bot
that can handle Javascript. I put together a proof of concept earlier
this year,
http://blog.dorward.me.uk/2006/02/02/spambots_that_drink_coffee.html

(That won't cover your particular code, but its just a proof of concept).

The code you provided would also leave users without JavaScript unable
to contact you, and make it rather difficult to copy/paste the email
address (e.g. for users of webmail services).